Monday, January 19, 2015

My Heart Breaks for You

She sat in front of me as I proclaimed the readings at Mass. I tried not to catch her eye, because ten minutes before, I had been informed that her son had suddenly and unexpectedly died the night before.

As I clasped her hand in the Sign of Peace and made eye contact,  the stunned grief I saw in her eyes gave me a physical jolt, and I tried not to think about it until after the Concluding Rite. Afterwards, I gave her a hug and said, "My heart breaks for you," and she thanked me, struggling to hold in the tears.

In some cultures, it's okay to throw back your head and wail. Today, I wished that we could be so open in the West. To express our pain fully and without reserve. But I know that as she remained for Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, Jesus heard her cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment